RD-19 is a 64 Bit VST 2 Drum Synthesizer
RD-19 is a drum synth VST designed particularly for Reason 10+ (the video shows it used in Reason 11). The architecture assumes a modular environment like the Combinator to allow building a complete multi-sound drum machine.
There are two discrete synth lines A + B which feed into a Character EQ, Saturation and Filter.
- Wav chooses Sine, Saw, Ramp, Tri, Square, White Noise, Pink Noise
- Tone + Fine tune the core Osc pitching
- Env + Boost set the pitch envelope amount
- Att +Dec set the attack & decay times for the pitch env
- Freq + Q set the center & width of the EQ
- Gain sets the boost amount (note no cut)
- HP switches the filter from Low Pass to High Pass
- Filter + Reso set the cutoff point and emphasis amount
- Att + Dec set the volume envelop times
- Level sets the synth line’s volume
- Drive sets the amount of saturation applied to the output (post-EQ/pre-Filter)
While the obvious use of RD-19 is in emulating classic drum machine sounds from the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, and today, you can also create some quite realistic sounds once you understand the controls and how to make more subtle sounds. This series of videos on creating and mixing drums can help: